Today I had a surgical abortion at 7 weeks pregnant under general anaesthetic

By anonymous on 03/07/2014
Today I had a surgical abortion at 7 weeks pregnant under general anaesthetic; I'm writing this because I want to share my positive experience with other girls who may be feeling as anxious as I was beforehand. (I read a lot of peoples experiences online and I must admit they terrified me!) This was my first pregnancy, I decided to have an abortion because I didn't think I could give a child the best start in life right now. It just isn't the right time for me. 8 hours before your appointment you cannot eat or drink anything and you are told to wear comfortable clothing. I arrived at the clinic at 8.45am, I was told to fill out a medical assessment form before I had a consultation with a nurse who talked me through my decision and gave me an sti check (I did the test by myself in the bathroom so I kept my dignity) then I had an ultrasound scan to check I was okay to have the procedure done that day. The nurses were lovely and made me feel at ease the whole time. I then had to wait in a waiting room to be called through for surgery - I waited around 3 hours because the clinic was so busy: I was annoyed that I had to wait so long but it was also reassuring seeing so many other women there as well as me. It made me realise I wasn't the only one in the world that was going through this! Definitely take a book to keep you occupied. When I was finally called by the nurse she showed me to a booth where I changed into my nightie, then I went through to prepare for theatre. I was told to lie on a bed where the doctor introduced himself to me and inserted a small needle into my hand for the anaesthetic I was also told to breathe into a mask while they wheeled me into the theatre At this point I was very nervous seeing the surgical looking room but the doctor calmed me down by talking to me while injecting the anaesthetic to put you to sleep. One minute I was talking to him the next I woke up in recovery. Seriously, it felt like it all happened as quick as a click of the fingers! I really don't know why I worried so much. When I woke up a nurse gave me water and checked I was okay (I did feel very giddy), then after about 10 minutes she took me through to a room for tea and toast and we just chatted until I felt ready to dress and leave. It really was a relaxed painless experience for me. I was lucky my boyfriend was with me to keep an eye on me and getting me home safely.
I am the biggest worrier in the world! I promise you though that this was the best choice for me. It's been around 6 hours now since I got home and I have had hardly any bleeding, just small cramps and feeling very tired.

Editor's Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience of a surgical abortion.for post abortion support.

Other stories...

Story categories

Tell your story

The information submitted in the stories section is generated solely by the public.

Would you like to tell other people about your experiences?