I had a Marie Stopes surgical abortion at 18-years-old after an illegal medical abortion at 14-years-old

By anonymous on 30/05/2015
medical abortion surgical abortion marie stopes abortion 12 weeks

On April 22nd, I had a surgical abortion under sedation at Marie Stopes. I only waited till now to share my story because I wanted to take the tests and be sure, which I just did and they were both negative.

[Other stories involving surgical abortion and Marie Stopes]

Part of me wanted a baby

I knew I was pregnant right from the start. Unfortunately I was not well informed about the morning after pill and honestly a part of me wanted a baby. I absolutely adore babies and I always dreamt of having one.

I was taken advantage of when I was 14

When I was 14, I was taken advantage of and I found out I was pregnant about 3 months into the pregnancy [experiences of abortion at 3 months pregnancy].

My sister advised me to get an abortion and because it was in Africa we had to do it illegally, so I went through a medical abortion which was the worst pain I have ever experienced at that time.

The pain was excruciating

Maybe it was because I was only 14 and was 12 weeks pregnant. I went into 12 hours of what I actually call labour, the pain was excruciating but it all ended and I moved on.

So you can imagine how stupid I must've been to get pregnant again four years later.

Pregnant again four years later, I was sure I would keep the baby

At the start I was sure that I was gonna keep the baby no matter what but as the days went by I weighed up my options and decided it was better for me to terminate it. I am at college and I hope to attend uni and I was finally getting along with my parents so it just was not the right time.

My local Brooks centre referred me to Marie Stopes

After deciding that I wanted an abortion i visited my local Brooks center, went through the medical procedures and my medical history. Then I was referred to Marie Stopes with whom I made a phone appointment for four days later.

On the day of the phone appointment they explained the two types of abortion procedures and I chose medical because I had experienced it before so I thought I could handle it.

I did more research and surgical seemed the fastest

However after an appointment for my treatment had been set I did more research into both procedures and surgical seemed to be the fastest method, so I called back and rescheduled another appointment for a week later to get the surgical abortion treatment.

The days before the treatment day were terrifying

The days leading up to the treatment day were terrifying. I was nervous because it was invasive and I just kept imagining all the things that could go wrong.

On the day I went in for my treatment with the guy responsible, we were not in a relationship and all I needed him there for was to take me back home.

I had a fibroid in my womb

I first went in to a nurse who did an ultrasound and stated that I had a fibroid in my womb, which made me more nervous but she assured me that it was not big enough to affect the procedure. After the ultrasound I went back to the waiting area where I waited for about 3 hours to be called in. I hadn't eaten or drunk anything that day.

When called in for my treatment I went in to an area where I changed into the surgery outfit and I stepped into the room with a heavy heart. The doctors were introduced to me and I laid on that bed.

I felt a sour taste in my mouth and blacked out

The minute the anaestheist took out the needle (I chose to be sedated) I started sobbing, yes I have a fear of needles. But it went in so gently I hardly noticed and I had a nurse holding my hand reassuring me that I will be fine.

Seconds after the injection I felt a sour taste in my mouth and I blacked out. Not completely though. I went into a dream like state. I couldn't feel any pain but at some point I heard them saying that I was smiling. I still can't remember what it was that made me smile but I did in that situation.

After the procedure whilst still sedated I started talking and talking just pouring out my feelings. It was ridiculous. I was taken down to the recovery area where I was given juice and some buiscuit.

I felt minimal pain for just an hour after the treatment

After the sedation left my system I changed and was given my after care. I felt minimal pain for just an hour after the treatment, the pain was more uncomfortable than painful so I could handle it.

After that I haven't felt anything at all. I bled for about a week, just light bleeding and I am doing fine. 

Editor's comment

Thank you for sharing your experience of these two methods of abortion. I hope you are recovering well.

Other stories...

Story categories

Tell your story

The information submitted in the stories section is generated solely by the public.

Would you like to tell other people about your experiences?