A medical abortion at 9 weeks.

By anonymous on 10/01/2015
I found out I was pregnant a week after I turned 23. My period was late but it's always been irregular so I wasn't worried until I started having terrible morning sickness. I was always tired and had a really hard time keeping food down and foods that I had loved and eaten regularly made my stomach turn.
I had convinced myself that I wasn't pregnant and decided to take a test just to be sure. Almost instantly the test showed that I was pregnant. I knew right away that keeping it would not be the best option for the potential child, me, my partner, or our families.
My partner and I decided we would try to have a natural miscarriage at home. I took a mixture of vitamin C and black cohosh and a couple other vitamins that I had read would work, however, the pills in combination with my morning sickness made me miserable. A few days into trying to naturally miscarry, my boyfriend and I decided to go to planned parenthood. I was extremely nervous about going to planned parenthood but my experience couldn't have been better. The women working there were caring and supportive and understanding. They told me about my options and let me decide what I thought would be best. The only thing I didn't like was that my boyfriend wasn't allowed to go with me into the doctors office, I was extremely nervous and would have liked for him to be there. At my ultrasound appointment the nurse determined that I was 9 weeks pregnant and just within the time frame to do the medicinal abortion. At the second appointment the doctor administered the first pill which stopped the hormones from reaching the foetus. She sent me home with the pills that would bring on the cramping and bleeding and gave me prescriptions for nausea and pain.
The next day, at home, my partner and I made sure I had everything I needed for the abortion to keep me as comfortable as possible. I took the nausea medicine and felt good enough to eat an actual meal, something I had struggled with for over a month. About an hour after I took the pills that would bring out the pregnancy the bleeding started and I vomited all the contents of my stomach. The pills wouldn't allow me to keep anything, even water, down for a couple hours. I had bad cramps but the bleeding was never very heavy. Probably 5-6 hours after I took the pills I was feeling very uncomfortable and felt like something was blocking the bleeding so I went to the bathroom and pushed down and after a few pushes, a large sac came out. I looked at it to make sure it was what I thought it was. After that, the bleeding was much heavier and I had a lot of clots coming out so I decided to stay in the bathroom for a while.
After another couple of hours my cramping had subsided and bleeding was slowing down considerably. By the next morning I was able to eat and not feel nauseous and my energy levels were higher than they had been. I recognize that it was probably partially in my head that I was feeling so much better. Not only did I feel better physically but I was so relieved to have ended the pregnancy. I know that it was the best option for everyone involved, especially the potential child who would not have received the best possible life.

Editor's Comment

It sounds as though you were well looked after and had lots of support. I have never heard of the 'natural miscarriage'you describe being successful, and would never recommend a 'Do-It-Yourself' approach. If you need any post abortion support, I am sure the Planned Parenthood will offer that.

Other stories...

Story categories

Tell your story

The information submitted in the stories section is generated solely by the public.

Would you like to tell other people about your experiences?