I went to Marie Stopes in Ealing for a surgical termination of my pregnancy

By anonymous on 14/02/2015
surgical abortion marie stopes abortion 5 weeks

Yesterday I went to Marie Stopes in Ealing for a surgical termination of my pregnancy. I found out almost 2 weeks ago that I was pregnant.

I've been on the contraceptive pill for almost 14 years but last year came off of it temporarily due to advice given to me explaining that another mild medical condition I had could be exacerbating the problem. Anyway I decided to go back on the pill last week November/December.

I had a normal period in December but didn't have one in January. I became increasingly more tired and my breasts were more tender and I started to get overwhelming waves of nausea. So I took 2 tests and they were both positive. I told my husband and we waited a couple of days for it to sink in and then had a lengthy discussion. We decided that a baby really isn't for us.

After calling Marie Stopes (nervously) they put me at ease and scheduled me in for Medical termination (taking the tablets) at my local clinic. I took the day off work and psyched myself up.

Unfortunately 3 hours before my appointment I got a call to say they had to cancel my appointment. I was absolutely distraught inside. I had called into work and made up an excuse to go sick in the hope I might be able to go back asap.

The booking agent said they could fit me in for the following week but I didn't want to take any more time off that I needed. So the really kind lady after lots of searching found me an appointment in Ealing 2 days later. She was really informative and really nice to me.

The morning of my appointment my husband drove me all the way to Ealing a 2 hour journey. I was really tearful. I was so scared of the unknown more than anything.

We've never wanted children and they've never been something we've longed for. We're happy with just being us.

He dropped me off at the clinic, I wanted to go in alone and he agreed but stayed nearby in case I needed him.

I was booked in by a lovely receptionist and taken through to the waiting area. I was surprised because there were so many other women in there. It didn't quite sink In for a couple of hours how many women actually were going through the same thing as me.

After an hour and half I was called in to see the nurse who filled out my medical history and scanned my tummy. I thought I might have been 7 weeks but she suspected a couple less. Again a really lovely lady, non-judgemental and very reassuring.

After another hour and half wait I was then prepared for theatre. I put a sarong around my waist and one around my top half as I decided to have the contraceptive implant fitted into my arm.

The surgeon introduced herself and was so kind, I felt a little embarrassed but she was so lovely making me feel at ease and my dignity was considered all of the time.

I lay back on the bed and the anaesthetist inserted a cannula in to my hand whilst my legs were placed in stirrups, I took a deep breath in as the needle started to go in and by the time I was exhaling he was adding my sedative, I sensed a funny smell and within about 3 second I shut my eyes and the next thing I remember is being woken by a nurse.

I did wake to incredible tummy pain but nothing that was too unbearable. Before the actual procedure I had agreed to have a rectal anti biotic and pain relief (again this is done whilst sedated by the surgeon).

I was wheeled in to recovery room where there were 4 other ladies also recovering.

The pain in my tummy was more like bad period pains. I was given a heat pack and cup of sweet tea and as the medication started to take effect the pain started to ease. The recovery nurses were brilliant and even though it was busy they were so attentive and caring. They gave me some information to take away with me and also 4 antibiotics to be taken with my next meal.

Within an hour and fifteen mins of the procedure being done I was walking out of the clinic to meet my husband. Immediately my nausea had subsided and I felt a like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders.

For me I know this was the right decision. My husband and I had discussed it at length and he was incredibly supportive.

It is a scary process in the beginning but I can assure you that at Marie Stopes you are cared for, dignified, treated with respect and not judged. It's a friendly environment and far more relaxing than sitting in a GP surgery or hospital.

Today is the first day after my procedure. I actually got a great nights sleep, in fact I even got up extra early. I've not had too much bleeding and I've virtually not got tummy pain at all. In fact the thing that hurts more is my contraceptive implant where it's settling down.

Although my account is very detailed I really hope that by someone reading this feels some sort of comfort that there are many women out there all in the same boat and that support and guidance is out there.

Editor's comment

It is good that you were given a supportive and professional service after your contraceptive failure. It is difficult when you have decided not to have children for this to have happened, and I am glad that you have had a long acting contraception fitted so hopefully you will not be in this position again.

Other stories...

Story categories

Tell your story

The information submitted in the stories section is generated solely by the public.

Would you like to tell other people about your experiences?