My period is always on time, if not just a day late or early. This time... was not the case

By anonymous on 11/01/2015
medical abortion planned parenthood abortion 7 weeks

I was 6 weeks pregnant and the thought of being pregnant to a guy that I just started dating was a nightmare.

How could this happen? But it did. I went to Planned Parenthood.

I met with the nurse for an initial ultrasound. I was confirmed for 7 weeks. They gave me an option to look at the ultrasound but I couldn't do it. I knew if I saw some kind of image that I was going to be attached, feel even sadder or even break my heart that I was aborting this future baby that I could be raising.

[Visit this page for links to stories organised by e.g. abortion provider or number of weeks pregnancy etc.]

But let's tap into reality, I am 28 years old and still continuing higher education. I have worked so hard to be here and I cannot have it all end with a baby in my hands where I could not afford or even start a family with a guy that I barely know!

What a nightmare. I had a plan and now there's a speed bump.

Which option - medical abortion or aspiration abortion?

I didn't know which option was for me. Medical abortion or aspiration abortion. But after much research, I chose Medical Abortion. I felt like taking pills would be less traumatic than going through a hospital, and doing a procedure.

After watching a video in the room, your provider comes into the room and gives you one pill. The second pill is taken 24 hours later. The same day you will take antibiotics.

Here is my experience

7 am initial day First pill

No pain. No nothing. However, I was already experience morning sickness from the pregnancy.

7 pm I took the antibiotics with dinner. Immediately within 30 minutes, I felt nauseous. I threw up my dinner. And became bedridden until morning time.

I set my alarm for 7 am so I could take 4 pills of Misoprostrol. 2 on each side of the cheeks. They didn't completely dissolve so I took the rest of the pills with water after 30 minutes.

Before this, I made myself eat breakfast. Something that you don't mind throwing up because YOU WILL throw up. Within 15 - 20 minutes I felt bloated, and being uncomfortable. Immediately, I took an ibuprofen that they had given me.

Within the hour, I felt pressure

I made myself go to sleep!

After reading a lot of blogs, they said bleeding will begin 3-5 hours after the pills. Within the hour, I felt pressure to go have a bowel movement.

As soon as I got up, I felt so dizzy and nauseous. So be ready... you're going to poop and throw up all at the same time. Butt on toilet, bucket in front. It was the most saddest scene EVER.

I go back into bed. I had Gatorade and water next to me to hydrate myself.

No one was home. I couldn't tell anyone I was going through this. My biggest fear was that I was going to die, alone and my phone was near me just in case I had complications to call 911!

So I sip on Gatorade and Water for the rest of the 2 hours. I woke up at 11 am. Still no blood. This is when you're getting impatient because you want this to be done and over with.

Finally, 11:45 am

I start feeling blood leaving my body. You have no idea how happy this moment is.

I didn't feel much cramps. It was more bloating and being uncomfortable. Much of my blood clots were expelled on the toilet, so I didn't see much what was going on. I just flushed the toilet.

So This is when I started to drink lots of water and gatorade. So every time I peed, the bleeding was just done on the toilet. I read most girls literally sat on the toilet for 2 hours straight, and that's how I felt like doing too but I was so tired during this process.

I continued to pass blood clots between 12 pm - 4 pm. Around 6 pm was when it was like a heavy period.

I was able to finally walk and felt somewhat normal

I was able to finally walk and feel somewhat normal around 7 pm. I finally showered and went out to dinner. I had to leave the house! I wanted to feel normal and alive again. I went out to dinner and felt such a sigh of relief.

I didn't have to take a second ibuprofen. I didn't feel much pain after 2 pm. I was just HUNGRY! I had crackers and toast with jam. That helps a lot throughout the day. And lots of fluid. I didn't sleep much.

I think I felt a sigh of relief. But I was full of energy. I went to work the next day. I continued to bleed like a heavy period but no more blood clots at all. No discomfort. Just RELIEF that I am not pregnant.

My follow up is in a few days. I hope that the bleeding will lessen ASAP!

I am happy I went through this route.

Editor's comment

Thanks for your detailed description of what you went through during your medical abortion.

Other stories...

Story categories

Tell your story

The information submitted in the stories section is generated solely by the public.

Would you like to tell other people about your experiences?