The abortion had not worked, I was still pregnant!

By anonymous on 06/10/2013
united states abortion failed medical abortion medical abortion surgical abortion abortion 6 weeks

Out of all the stories I have read about abortion, none of them compare to mine. I wanted to share mine just in case any of you ladies are in the same boat as I am/was.

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 6 weeks. It was Memorial Day weekend so I had to wait before I could get any answers or take any steps forward. Since I live in an area where you have to drive a considerable amount of time to get anywhere or get anything done. I called a clinic that was the closest I could find.

[For links to stories listed by aspects such as the method used, weeks of pregnancy, service provider visit this page.]

It was a two-hour drive one way which I drove myself each time. My boyfriend of two years is in the military so he was unable to be with me through my whole experience, sadly.

I did as I was told to the absolute last detail

I first agreed to do the MEDICAL abortion. I paid $425 because I had a negative blood type. I did as I was told to the absolute last detail!

The first pill that I took in the room with the doctor didn't make me cramp or anything. However, the following day was extremely the opposite.

I put two pills in one cheek of my mouth and two in the other to let dissolve just like I was instructed. I began to cramp extremely within 15 - 30 minutes. I threw up multiple times and could not hold down food for about 3 days.

The nurses said bleeding was expected and it definitely happened.

I was allowed to take pain medication, but I was unable to keep that down and ended up throwing it back up as soon as I swallowed it.

I go back for my follow-up appointment two weeks later and I am required to get an ultrasound to see if the abortion was successful. I am alone for this appointment as well because my boyfriend was unable to be there because it was during the week.

I am called back and she does the ultrasound...

The abortion had NOT worked. I was STILL PREGNANT!

She gave me the option to go through with the medical again, have a surgical that day, or wait and come back in two weeks for a surgical.

I thought about it and agreed to go through with the SURGICAL abortion THAT same day.

I go back out to the waiting room and call my boyfriend on his lunch break and tell him what the situation was. Emotions were definitely on high that day.

I am called back to take a Valium and some Motrin to calm my nerves. I was asked to undress from the waist down. I up my legs in stirrups and they strap my legs down with velcro. Since I didn't have anyone with me to drive me two hours back home, they brought in a counselor and another nurse for support.

They opened me up with the speculum and the doctor pricked my uterus three times with local anesthesia. Then they dilated my cervix. This was the most painful part!!

I usually have terrible menstrual cramps in which I take Naproxen to get rid of the pain. These cramps did not even compare to that.

The doctor entered the suction tool inside me and finished the procedure. Overall it took about 15 minutes. I puked about two minutes after everything was removed from me. I was then helped up and given a pad for the bleeding.

I was asked to get dressed and then I was escorted to the recovery room. I had a little cup of Chex mix and some Pepsi waiting for me. I was told to put the heating pad on my lower belly to help with the cramping.

The nurse went over the medication and took my blood pressure. Then she asked me to go to the bathroom and check my bleeding. I was only spotting just a little at the time. I asked if I would be able to make the two-hour drive home and was told yes.

I asked for some Motrin and it was given to me. I got about 40 minutes into the drive and I started to feel light-headed. I pulled off the interstate and slept for about an hour. I was then in an all right condition to finish out my drive home.

When I got home I felt like all of my insides were about to fall out of me. I was cramping pretty badly but they were somewhat bearable. I tried taking some Ibuprofen but it didn't seem to help any. I was able to sleep but kept waking up every so often because I was cramping so bad it woke me up.

I have my follow-up appointment here on October 18th. The doctor will do a pap smear to see if everything has healed correctly and I am not damaged. I am still cramping about once a day or so and it's been about a week and a couple of days since my surgical procedure.

I'm hoping for good news this third time around!

Use these links for more:

Editor's comment

A difficult experience to have to go through 2 different procedures that were both painful. I am sure it must have been a shock to be told that the medical abortion had not worked, although they usually go through this when you sign the consent form. I am sorry that you had to do all this alone and no one was able to support you through it.

Other stories...

Story categories

Tell your story

The information submitted in the stories section is generated solely by the public.

Would you like to tell other people about your experiences?